Kayak fishing has become a very popular outdoor activity, and each and every year, more and more anglers get into this awesome hobby. There are huge numbers of price points and features to looking for when Kayak Fishing. and the budget fishing kayak market has exploded during the last couple of years, there are plenty of models out there that anglers can choose between including fishing kayaks under $500 dollars.
But if you’re a beginner, choosing the best fishing kayak for your needs and waters can be a pretty challenging task, as there are so many facts and features to consider. So, in order to help you find the vessel that’s the absolute best fit for you, we have put together this helpful buyer’s guide on the best fishing kayaks under $500.
Although there are plenty above this price point, you may be a weekend angler, or just wanting to try it out before investing thousands of dollars, or maybe you need to get more than one. What ever there reason you get pick up a half decent boat for this price.
Keep reading this article to get our best tips on beginner and budget friendly fishing kayaks.
Is Buying a Fishing Kayak Worth it?
If you like fishing, you will love kayak fishing! It’s simply a completely new experience that will open an entirely new fishing world for you! So, if you want our opinion, buying a fishing kayak is definitely worth the investment! Here is why:
- It allows you to access fishing spots and water ways that you cannot get to from land
- It enables you to effectively cover and fish much larger areas in a lake, river, or in the sea
- Fishing kayaks are easy to transport and carry around
- A fishing kayak has a lot of storage space, allowing you to bring all your gear with you on the water
- It is fairly easy to navigate a fishing kayak, even while fishing, which can save a lot of time
There are of course many more advantages to owning a fishing kayak. But for now, let’s move on to our best picks and recommendations.
1) Top Pick: Lifetime Tamarack Angler 10 ft Fishing Kayak
The Lifetime Tamarack Angler is our absolute favorite when it comes to fishing kayaks under $500. It’s an amazing kayak that is perfect for beginners and seasoned kayak fishermen alike.
For the price, it offers an amazing quality and range of features that will make your fishing trips on the water as good tas they can possibly get!
- Constructed of uv-protected high-density Polyethylene. Multiple footrest positions for different size riders....
- Adjustable padded seat back and seat pad for comfort. Two flush mounted fishing rod holders. One top mount fishing...
- Front and rear shock cord straps. Two 6" storage compartments in rear and center. One paddlekeeper, one adult black...
- Front and rear t-handles for easy transport. Deep hull tracking channels
Here are some basic features of the Lifetime Tamarack Angler:
- Length: 10 feet
- Width: 31 inches
- Product weight: 51 pounds
- Weight capacity: 275 pounds
- Made of high-density polyethylene (implacable durability)
Some of this kayak’s features that we appreciate the most include its very stable flat bottom for perfect stability and security on the water.
Another great feature of the Lifetime Tamarack Angler is that it is super lightweight (51lb), making it very easy to transport and carry from your car to the water, or between different waterfronts. Even more so thanks to its front and rear carry handles.
It also comes with a whole range of extra accessories, such as multiple footrest positions for better comfort, multiple rod holders for your kayak fishing rods, shock cord straps, and two storage hatches for your gear. You can also attach fish finders and displays as needed. There is also space to keep a cooler for your catch behind you.
All in all, an amazing fishing kayak that will greatly enhance your fishing experience! If you are looking for something a little longer Amazon also have the Lifetime Tamarack 12 ft Kayak for about a hundred dollars more.
The Intex Excursion is a highly durable inflatable fishing kayak that fits both one and two persons. It is a kayak that’s well suited for fishing and, given all its awesome features, comes at a very decent price.
This model is surprisingly durable, which, according to us, is one of the most important features when it comes to inflatable fishing kayaks. You can rely on this vessel 100% when fishing from it and hence enjoy your fishing trip without any worries distracting you while out on the water. We have a guide to inflatable kayaks and safety in this article that is worth reading before you consider buying.
- Intex Excursion Pro Kayak made with low profile Polypropylene to maintain color and structural strength when in...
- Kayak with built-in footrest and adjustable seats for comfort, able to hold maximum weight capacity of 396.8...
- Versatile 2 Person kayak featuring 2- 86 inch aluminum oars, 2 detachable fishing rod holders, 1 adjustable GoPro...
- Inflatable and foldable kayak comes with US Coast Guard ID and TUV certifications, guaranteeing top-notch safety...
Here are some of the Intel Excursion’s most important features:
- Inflated size: 12’7″ x 3’1″ x 1’6″
- Product weight: 39lb
- Weight capacity: 400lb
- Made of 3-ply high impact and abrasion-resistant material
- Has 2 variants of skeg for tracking and stability. ( deep and shallow water)
As mentioned, security is the most important aspect for inflatables, and this kayak offers plenty of it. Its super tough 3-ply material will withstand both your fishing hooks and any outside impact. Additionally, it has a smart 3 chamber construction that increases durability even further.
Stability isn’t a thing to worry about either here, as the Intex Excursion includes an I-beam floor for extra rigidity.
Another really admirable feature of this fishing kayak is the fact that it can actually be easily navigated by just one person, which makes it a versatile choice that can be used for solo trips or fishing adventures with a friend, your kid, or a loved one.
And finally, this model includes plenty of valuable add-ons, such as 2 paddles, a high output air pump, a pressure gauge, and a carry bag for easy transport when deflated.
3) Lifetime Hydros Angler 8ft Sit-On Fishing Kayak
Our third is another Lifetime model, as this brand always stands for quality fishing kayaks at really affordable prices. The Hydros Angler 8ft Sit-On is our budget pick among the best fishing kayaks under $500.
Not only is this fishing kayak very decently priced, which makes it a solid choice for beginners, your anglers, or fishermen with a limited budget, but it also offers a couple of really valuable features that you, the angler, will most certainly appreciate.
- Combination Tunnel hull design provides great stability and tracking
- Multiple Footrest positions for different size paddlers
- Molded-in swim-up deck with bungee lacing for storage
- Adjustable quick release seat back for comfort; Front T-handle for easy transport
Let us first take a look at the Lifetime Hydros Angler’s basic features:
- Dimensions: 101” x 29” x 20.5”
- Product weight: 41lb
- Weight capacity: 225lb
- Made of high-density polyethylene (great durability)
- 5-year limited warranty
The 5-year limited warranty is a feature that we found highly valuable, especially considering that this is a budget variant. It implies outstanding quality and assures you, the buyer, that you have invested your money in a product that will last you a very long time.
Transporting this kayak is also very easy, thanks to both its front T-handle and convenient center carry handle. At 41lb, it’s a truly lightweight fishing kayak model that even younger anglers will be able to carry with ease.
We also really appreciate all the extras that come together with this model. These include both a kayak paddle, two flush-mounted rod holders, 1 additional adjustable rod holder that could double to hold a fish finder, as well as two bungees for extra storage in the front and rear.
It is shorter so will not be suited to really long trips, however if lake fishing or onshore in your favorite spots this can be seen as a plus not a negative, especially when you consider the weight. You can pick these up for under 500 on Amazon with the link above, or at Walmart with the link here and on the title.
4) Sevylor Colorado Fish/Hunt 2-Person Inflatable Kayak
The last kayak on our list is the Sevyol Colorado Fish/Hunter, which is another really awesome inflatable fishing kayak model.
This 2-person model is best suited for fishing trips in smaller and bigger lakes and offers a lot of space and storage, making it a really great choice for longer fishing trips together with your buddy or partner.
- 18-gauge PVC construction is rugged for lake use
- 1000D tarpaulin bottom and 840D nylon cover provide durable protection from punctures
- Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured
- International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit,...
Here are some of the Sevylor Colorado’s most important features:
- Inflated size: 128.25 x 36.50 x 18.75 Inches
- Product weight: 33lb
- Weight capacity: 470lb
- Made of highly durable 18-gauge PVC
Once again, we looked at the security aspects of this inflatable kayak extra carefully and were really impressed by its durability and stability. This is mostly thanks to its very tough 18-gauge PVC construction, a 1000D tarpaulin bottom, as well as an 840D nylon cover, providing great protection from punctures and outer impacts. For an inflatable fishing kayak, this is as tough and durable as it gets!
This kayak’s weight capacity (up to 470lb) is another feature that we really appreciate, as this means that it can easily hold 2 grown persons and a lot of gear without giving up any of its stability or buoyancy.
It also comes with a set of Berkley quick set rod holders that are adjustable and allow you to fish hands-free while paddling, which further aids this model’s efficiency.
And lastly, its modern design and green camouflage look really make it a perfect choice for you as an angler. Paddling around in this kayak will definitely make all other anglers out on the water very jealous!
You can check this out or pick this up on walmart or on the title or on Amazon in the picture above
There are of course more kayaks than this, both inflatable and hard. However these ones are well regarded and will certainly get you in places where fish are. I cant promise you will get them on the boat though, that’s up to you!
You can pay more, you can always pay more, but if you are light in the wallet or careful with money, it’s not about have the best boat on the water it’s about fishing as best as you can. More expensive boats come with more features, and more bells and whistles but when it all comes to it as long as you are on the water with a rod then you have a chance just like that 4000 dollar Hobie next to you.
I like the option of a trolling motor, but I live next to the sea and sometimes just want to power back, so I tend to go for something I can attach one to. These kayaks have the option, but as my DIY skills are pretty basic, I like manufactures to take the responsibility for that.
I also like a fishfinder to look at and get confused with, which all of these models can take with some modifications. However, I also found this Kayak, which in full disclosure I have no idea if it’s any good, but the idea made me chuckle!
It is a ”glass” bottomed kayak, so you can see the fish if you are in clear water :P, or the shark that’s tracking your catch! I will let you know if I get one!!