For 20 years HookEze has been telling anglers that there is a better way to tie fishing line, attach swivels and safety store a rigged rod. So far half a million have taken then up on their offer. Well now its half a million and one. We picked up on to see how it faired for us. As it turns out pretty well!
What is the Hook-EZE Knot Tying Tool?
Hook-Eze is a fishing tackle tool designed to facilitate the tying of fishing knots that are stronger, more secure and reduce the loss of fish to line stress and poor knots. It also reduces the risk of cuts by covering the barb, and by enabling the line to be cut with a built in tool rather than a knife.
Does this system actually work though. There is always something, especially in the fishing niche, that claims to make life easier or to put more fish on the deck. Some work or course, but not all, far from it. So we take a look at Hookeze and see if its worth splashing a little cash on. If you want to check it out on Amazon you can just click here.
Fishermen Are Always Looking For An Edge
In my younger days, and I mean like 40 years ago, I once bought a ”self hooking float” . It seemed like such a great idea at the time. A spring loaded ball that would release and hook the fish with a little pressure, it cost about 5 dollars at the time, which to me was quite a lot.
First cast, full of excitement and hope that I had finally got something that was guaranteed to work. I cast it out and watched as it sailed much further than I expected. turns out back then my knots were not as good as they are now and I had just cast my pride of place fish catching beast in to the middle of the lake, with no attachment to my line whatsoever.
As you can imagine this was some what distressing for an 11 year old me, and this was only added to when while my friends were laughing and we were all looking at it bobbing in the water and heard a sharp click. Then watched as it slowly ”swam” away. Like a scene out of Jaws. It turns out it actually worked.
Sorry for the tangent, I have been looking for a place to tell than story on the site and here seems to fit quite nicely! Back to the Hook-Eze knot tying tool!
Review of the HookEze Knot Tying Tool
This knot tying tool from HOOK-EZE is actually a pretty good piece of kit. In typical no nonsense antipodean ingenuity it does exactly what is says on the tin. It offers something for both the beginner and experienced angler.
It is for use in every possible fishing environment, saltwater, freshwater, Ice fishing ( which is quite useful as those fingers tend to get cold pretty quickly) and being made of plastic and stainless steel is going to give it a decent lifespan if you take care of it.
I remember learning to tie knots for fishing, and would still strongly recommend that we all carry on doing so. It is a rights of passage to our world. However more time fishing and less time setting up is always something to be welcomed as well. This does, with a little practice, speed things up for me, and I imagine for most anglers as well.
It can be used to correctly tie Swivels, Jig Heads, lures and jigging rigs. It is pleasantly surprising at how well it works with these actually, and I managed to set up quite a few leaders in a bout 20 mins with it. If you want to know how to tie two lines together you can check out this article on our site as well.
It come with clips for two purposes, the first being to clip to your rod so you remember its there. ( we all have a lot of kit don’t we!!) and secondly to cover the hook while you transport of store your rods. Stopping cut and hooked fingers when you reach to grab them. Which I would also imagine most of us have done and regretted in our time.
- Easy to use by all types of fishermen
- Safe for both saltwater and freshwater
- Friendly transportation design
- Allows you to tie different knots for multiple purposes.
- Made of stainless steel
- Loads of video guides both official and user.
- Comes into two sizes
- Learning curve, but not to steep
- Not suitable for all types of hooks
They cost about 13 dollars, though you can buy packs if you want them on multiple rods. You can check out some options on Amazon below. We picked the blue ones, but they actually come in 5 colors.
- Now Everybody Can Tie Professional Knots Easily: The Standard Hook-Eze Fishing Knot Tying Tool is the safest,...
- Ideal For Tying A Variety of Hooks: The Hook-Eze tool fits hooks sized from a standard 4/0 down to the smallest...
- Perfect Knots For Anglers Of All Ages: Hook-Eze lets anglers from all around the world tie the best fishing knots...
- Safely Transport Fully Rigged Poles: Use Hook-Eze to cover the hooks attached to the pole (cover up to 2 fishing...
Benefits and Features Of Hookeze Knot tying tool
Just to be clear this is not a self tying knot tool, you are going to have to put in a little effort to get the best from it. That is also one of the reasons we suggest all anglers learn to tie knots first. To understand it can take some time and that there is a learning curve will develop a little more patience. When using a new tool learning both its features and how you can make use of it in your fishing is always important.
- It should be suitable for the type of knot you need to tie. When it comes to fishing, there are different knots for different environments! Although this will cover most fishing needs do a little research. If you are fishing the grand banks for Bluefin it might be that you have a hook slightly too big for something like this!!
- It is made to last, a while, its not a 400 dollar Shimano reel that will pass down from father to son. However, it is solidly made piece of kit that fulfils its purpose. Its not going to dissolve into a pile of rust over the winter if you don’t get out fishing for a few months.
- It should be reliable. You should be able to count on your knot being secure and stable in all circumstances. A lousy knot can mean losing your fish, and your temper!. Ultimately, you don’t want the weak link, literally, in the chain to be you! Review wise Hookeze is averaged at 4 plus stars and we can see why. It works, its no nonsense and its cheap enough.
Benefits Of Using Hook-EZE Systems
- Firstly you will save time tying knots, proper knots. This could be challenging for people new to fishing. You need to spend a little practice time with it, but it will save you time.
- Once you get the hang of it you will see that using it becomes a lot easier. You can use it on a wide range of hook sizes: Maximum Standard 4/0 hook and a minimum 28 size. Hookeze also come in two sizes as well.
- You can use this tool for line to line when you are tying flies and other knots like Yucatan fishing knots.
- They are straightforward to make and extremely solid.
- There are also a good selection of video guides to use with the hookeze knot tying tool, both official and user made. We like to the official one below.
We bought this to test mainly for the review page, but honestly after expecting it to be more of a gimmick than a go to product. We are happy to change our mind. Although it can be used at the river bank as you change gear, or swap out hooking systems and jigs, we really enjoyed using it while sitting at home, or in the garden and preparing for the next fishing trip.
Setting up leaders and jigs ready for when we are out on the water again, it becomes almost hypnotic, and with the bonus of while being in that relaxed state you are not suddenly awoken from it by stabbing your thumb with a hook!